Home » Composition in Two Genres

Composition in Two Genres

Genre 1 (Website main page):

Rationale:

Why did I choose this? I chose this because websites are very common in today’s world. If it isn’t found in an app, it will likely be on a website. The main idea was to focus on one of the main sources of media that teens might use in today’s world and connect it with a paragraph informing the reader about the possible terrors with hyperlinks referencing other articles, like my research paper previously done to the topic the website belongs to. My intended audience would teen teenagers with access to technology. Teenagers will easily recognize the format and structure of the site and possibly engage with the links or comment on the article as shown at the top near the title.

Reflection:

The rhetorical situation for this genre was the effect of social medias on teenagers. The clear upcoming of the medias on teenager’s lives is something noticeable to all people. I chose this genre because I wanted to bring about the issues and some helpful aspects of social media. My stance on this was that the medias were causing some harm more than they were helping teenagers and something should be done to address this issue by adding awareness to the issue. For this piece, I wanted to focus on the general website style genre. Most informative websites include aspects like a large image with a smaller caption about what the image is about. Some issues that I came about while making the website was trying to figure out what to include in the website without it being too crammed or lacking many features. So, I added a social aspect to the website which I included through the “comment” button at the top right corner of the page. In addition to this, I also added some of the general website page aspects like the authors name, date of creation and title. I made the image larger than the rest of the contents to act as the visual summary of what this could be about. In the end the product does show the idea I wanted to it to show but I feel like it could be improved in terms of wording.

Genre 2 (PSA):

Rationale:

A Public Service Announcement is more generalized and more informative about the topic. It creates a stand on what the facts are and what people must know about the specific topic. I formatted the PSA in a way that involved general text messaging colors. Blue and grey are the most common colors seen when someone texts someone else, specifically on iPhones. The intended audience for this PSA would be readers or people directly affected by the media influence in teens, which would be parents. This PSA is targeted to parents’ awareness of what exactly is being affected and what they could do and what is being done to the teens.

Reflection:

The rhetorical situation in this situation was the same as the previous genre. This is also focused on the medias but has a much more negative view of the medias as a whole. My stance on this was more focused on the call for action to the parents of teenagers with media. This focused on the possible threats of the medias with some statistics to support the idea that there is some potential harm with all the good that comes with the medias. The genre I used here was a PSA, or Public Service Announcement. The idea of a PSA gives off a negative feeling about the issue being brought up within it. This is exactly what I intended for. Attempting to keep the phrases short but have strong words would add to this. I would also attempt to use a statistical appeal to convince my audience. While making the PSA, I did encounter some issues in trying to show what I am trying to say and to have everyone, even the elderly, what this issue is related to. To address this, I included a background image with the action I am trying to bring attention to. The text-boxes were in a specific color to resemble the iPhone’s message aspect which is something that most people would connect to in terms of media. Some rhetorical practices I found myself doing while making the PSA was to focus on my audience, look at my point and try to make it clear on what my stance is but also grabbing the attention of my reader so that they also understand what I try to say. This PSA does reflect the original intent in that there is some level of worry for the topic itself and brings more concern to the idea. I feel like this could also be improved by changing the wording and probably font appearance as that it also very important in any visual.